Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Finding Joy In The Daily Grind

The fourth blog challenge topic is...


A Part Of My Everyday Routine That I Enjoy


The first thing that came to mind was reading to my daughter every night before bed.  I'm not going to over think this one, so that will be the topic of this blog post.

I have always read to my daughter.  I read to her while she still occupied space in the womb.  My parents did it for both my brother and I while we were growing up, so it is a tradition I gladly continue.  My daughter is starting to read on her own, so most nights she acts as the story teller now.  It tests my patience sometimes, but I am constantly amazed how quickly she is strengthening her reading skills.  So our evening adventures cuddled in bed with Wild Things, discovering the hardships of temporary fairies, deterring thieves with Frog Belly Rat Bone, or organizing dragon taco parties, is always the best part of my day.

If you were to visit my house in between cleanings, of course there would be the traditional clutter...toys, coats, hair ties, etc.  But the one thing that always seems to be a fixture around the house is stacks of books.  Stacks in the living room.  A pile on the bedside table.  Books on the kitchen table & on top of the refrigerator.  I am steadfast in my love of books & reading.  My bookshelves are overflowing and my Kindle library is robust.  This is a trait I have passed onto my daughter and her love of books truly rivals my own.  She has a floor organizer in her room bursting with all manner of books.  Hardback, paperback, pop-up, some with sounds, and even a few chapter books without many pictures.  I want to continue that love affair by encouraging her to read daily, encourage it by weekly trips to library.  At some point, her attention will shift to other things besides coloring books & Candy Land.  She will pick up different hobbies and discover other ways to occupy her time.  My only hope is that she never loses her love of reading.  That no matter what, she always makes time to read...even if its a few pages here and there.

Oh Darcy...you just get me.

No comments:

Post a Comment